1. Don't lie about your height. Who are you kidding? Just be honest. You can't do a thing about it and potential ladies of interest will notice those inches that you fudged when you meet in person, anyway. Especially if they're tall.
2. Sure, you can view someone's OkCupid profile five times a day. Or alternatively, you can just say hello.
3. Be literate and thoughtful about the personal information that you share as well as the individual conversations that you have with women. Those are your best chances to make an impression. If you can't spell, effectively string a few sentences of winsome banter together, or articulate who you are with a certain degree of self-awareness and humor... then this isn't the venue for you.
4. You don't want to be friends. You want a date! You want to makeout. You want to navigate the murky waters of contemporary romance. Stop selecting "new friends" as an option for what you're interested in. There's no need for charades. (And if you are looking for new friends, look elsewhere. Dating websites are for dating.)
5. If someone attractive catches your eye, don't send her a chat message on a weekday afternoon begging for the details and dimensions of her breasts.
6. Dogs and cats are sure-fire girl bait. Choose profile photos accordingly.
7. The first thing that people notice about you is probably not your hipster beard—and that's okay. Dig a little deeper. Post some quirks instead.
8. Be specific. This is your time to shine and say something about yourself that gets lost in translation with all those missed connections at parties, coffee shops, and street corners. Everyone likes "different kinds of music" and "going out with their friends." What makes you stand out?
9. I've said it before and I'll say it again: a) the internet is real life, and b) the world is smaller than you think. Keep that in mind as you meet new people, answer or ignore messages, learn interesting details about strangers or divulge a few of your own. You never know when your paths may cross again.
10. No one is out of your league. There are only people who are attracted to you and people who aren't.